The holidays can be a stressful time for families who are already struggling to make ends meet. They need to pay all their regular bills and provide a little extra to make Christmas special for their children. In fact, in CT 40% of households are considered ALICE households – or Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed. ALICE represents the men and women in Connecticut’s households of all ages and races who get up each day to go to work, but who aren’t sure if they’ll be able to make ends meet.
This makes the work of Urban Alliance partners even more important over the holidays!
These are just a couple of ways Urban Alliance partners supported families over the holidays:
- Wethersfield-evangelical Free Church received grant funding from Urban Alliance to support families at Thanksgiving. They were able to offer gifts cards to families so they could shop for preferred food items to prepare a special holiday meal.
- St, Monica’s, Ebenezer Pentecostal, Bibleway Temple Nation, and Our Savior Lutheran Church received grant funding to support coaching which helps people set goals and connect people to community programs that address life challenges.
- Urban Alliance received a donation of toys from Gengras Ford, and provided them to two children’s ministries, Calvary Church’s Awana and Glory Chapel children’s ministry who were able to bless children over the holidays.
- Glory Chapel International Cathedral’s food pantry, Love Kitchen, received grant funding from Urban Alliance that supported a Thanksgiving event and meal for people in the Hartford community.
- Victory Church will be hosting a "Night of Hope" next week to support people from their church and community who have experienced loss. The holidays can be a difficult time for households that have experienced loss. Urban Alliance's Dr. Jessica Sanderson will be sharing at this event, and it was supported with UA grant funding.
Urban Alliance is proud to serve with so many partners in a season of so much need. A donation to Urban Alliance furthers the work of programs that help CT's most vulnerable families.